Are you thinking about starting a career in information technology? Or are you already working in IT and ready to start earning some professional certifications? If so, the CompTIA A+ certification should definitely be on your radar.
What Is CompTIA A+?
CompTIA A+ is an entry-level certification that validates your foundational skills across multiple operating systems and devices. It is an industry-standard for anyone who is starting out in an IT or cybersecurity career.
The CompTIA A+ certification covers the skills you need to troubleshoot and mitigate various IT-related issues, including computer repair, networking, and installing laptops, personal computers, and other hardware. It also covers configuring laptops, personal computers, and mobile operating systems for Apple iOS and Android devices.
Earning the CompTIA A+ certification will help you get entry-level positions like a help desk technician, field service technician, technical support specialist, and others, which are good starting points for your IT career. However, for most IT and cybersecurity professionals, this certification is just a first step that provides the basic, foundational knowledge they will need to continue along their desired career path.
Why Get CompTIA A+ Certified?
Becoming A+ certified will help you get your foot in the door of numerous entry-level IT positions, but the benefits of getting certified don’t stop there. There are additional benefits that include:
- Global recognition – The A+ credential, along with other CompTIA certifications, is recognized and respected in many countries worldwide. Additionally, it is compliant with standards required to work for the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Vendor-neutral knowledge – Professionals who hold the A+ certification have mastered technologies that are present in many different IT environments. Their knowledge extends from mobile devices to traditional computers and the various operating systems that are used with them.
- Validation of skills – With an A+ certification, you have validation of fundamental troubleshooting, networking, and security skills that prepare you for numerous IT jobs.
- Trusted by hiring managers – Hiring managers and recruiters who work to fill IT and cybersecurity positions often look first for certifications on candidates’ resumes. When they see that a candidate has certain certifications, like CompTIA A+, they immediately know what the candidate’s abilities are.
What Does It Take to Get CompTIA A+ Certified?
When you feel you have all the necessary skills and knowledge for the CompTIA A+ credential, you are ready for the official testing. For A+ certification, you must take and pass two exams. Each exam is $239 (a great deal for the benefits you will get from them), and that can be taken at various authorized testing centers worldwide.
The two exams for CompTIA A+ are Core 1 (220-1101) and Core 2 (220-1102). The Core 1 exam covers the following domains:
- Mobile Devices
- Hardware and Network Troubleshooting
- Virtualization and Cloud Computing
The Core 2 exam covers:
- Operating Systems
- Operational Procedures
- Software Troubleshooting
Each of the certification exams has a maximum of 90 questions, which may be multiple-choice, drag and drop, or performance-based. The time limit for the exams is 90 minutes. To successfully pass the exams, you must earn a score of 675 for the Core 1 exam and a score of 700 on the Core 2 exam, on a scale of 100-900. When you have passed both exams, you will earn your CompTIA A+ certification, which is valid for three years.
Prepare for CompTIA A+ Certification with TrainACE
Self-study is an important part of preparing for any type of exam, and you will need to do some independent studying before you take your official A+ certification exam. However, for many people who have been where you are, it is much more effective to participate in a CompTIA A+ training course taught by an industry expert. Whether it’s in the classroom or online, learning from a professional who works in the field allows you to gain practical knowledge, get your questions answered, and receive tips and advice about course content and the certification exam.
At TrainACE, we can help you prepare for your CompTIA A+ certification exam. We offer comprehensive training courses taught by top-rated instructors to help ensure that you are fully prepared to pass the exam and earn your credential.